Spring Mill State Park: Pioneer Village
Virtual Tour
Heather Limp and Katie Rose Tolley
The virtual tour you are about to explore is of the Pioneer Village at Spring Mill State Park.
Spring Mill State Park is located near Mitchell, IN.
The Pioneer Village show you have people lived back in the 1800's.


Spring Mill Pioneer Village:  The Beginning
     The story of Spring Mill begins in 1814 with a man named Samuel Jackson Jr. and his wife.  Jackson built a cabin and a 15-foot-square grist mill.  
     On March 3, 1817, Samuel Jackson turned over the land of Spring Mill to two brothers, Cuthbert and Thomas Bullitt.
     The first thing the Bullitt brothers did with the village was rebuild the grist mill.  The mill was remodeled to be three stories high.
grist mill
Click on the picture to see inside the mill!
This is what the Grist Mill looked like after the Bullitt brothers remodeled it.  This is still how the Grist Mill looks today.
wheel inside the mill
This is a picture of the inside of the mill.  
The process of the grist mill is:  the grain is lifted in sacks onto the sack at the top of the mill. The sacks are emptied into bins, where the grain falls down through a hopper to the stones on the stone floor below. The flow of grain is regulated by shaking it along a gently sloping trough (the slipper) from which it falls into a hole in the center of the runner stone. The milled grain (flour) is collected as it emerges through the grooves in the runner stone from the outer rim of the stones and it gets fed down a chute to be collected in sacks on the ground or meal floor. A very similar process is used for grains such as wheat, kamut, etc to make flour as well as for maize to make corn meal.
mill worker 
This is how they would have dressed back in the 1800's.  This man was running the mill to show how the grain was turned into food we can eat.
Spring Mill was sold two more times.  The second owners were the Montgomery brothers.  They ended up selling the land to the Hamerbrothers.
The Village
The Apothecary:  Inside the Apothecary glass jars are filled with medicine that would have been used during the pioneer days.  They are all labeled neatly and line the wall length shelves.
apothecary
Click on the picture to see inside the Apothecary!
The Merchantile:  The Merchantile was used as a Post Office and the General Store during the Pionner days.
mercantile
The Meeting House:  The Meeting House is not an original building of the village.  It was built in the 1970's by the Mitchell Ministry because they felt the village should have had a church.  Church services are held in the Meeting House even today during parts of the year.
meeting house
Click on the picture to see inside of the Meeting House!
The Blacksmith:  The blacksmith was a major necessity in the village.  
blacksmith
Next to the Blacksmith was a building that looks like a garage of today without doors.  This is where the village people coming through would leave their carriages and buggies.
carraige building
The Weaver:  The Weaver's home was full of yarn and the materials needed to make blankets and clothing.  
weaver's home
Click on the picture to see inside of the Weaver's House!
The saying "Pop Goes The Weasel"  comes from the pioneer time.  There was a wooden device that helped measure out yarn.  When the yarn was measured to the desired length the device would make a popping sound.
weasel
Granny White's House:  This house is an example of living well during the pioneer days.  Granny White helped raise orphans.  The house was seperated by a "doggie trot" to allow breeze to go through the house since there were no air conditioners or fans at that time.
granny white's house
Click on the picture to see inside of Granny White's House!
The Wood Shop:  Woodworking was done in this building and wagons were able to pull up to a door on the side and load up.  The following picture is of the inside of the Wood Shop.
wood shop
The Potter:  The potter used kickwheels to make many different pieces of pottery.  Different pieces of pottery such as banks and games were made along with dishes.
pottery
Click on the picture to see inside of the Potter's Building!
The School House:  The School House was also called the Nursery.  This is where the children stayed during the day.  All grades were in one building.  The building was made up of two rooms.
school house
Click on the picture to see the school house and inside of it!
The Mill Office:  The mill office served as workshop and business center for the Grist Mill.  
mill house
The Garden House:  10-15 children lived in the Garden House at one time.  It is styled like a home of today except it has only one room.
garden house
Click on the picture to see inside the Garden House!
There are two houses shown in the following 2 pictures.  These houses were owned by each of the brothers that owned the village.
Hamer House 1
hamer house 2
Click on the picture to see inside the house!Click on the picture to see inside the house!
Click here for Teacher's Page including State Standards and a brief overview of the Virtual Tour
Click here to return to Homepage